Monday, July 18, 2005

Doesn't Anybody Understand the Prisoner's Dilemma?!

Yesterday was quite possibly one of the most exhausting days I've had here in Morocco. Waking up at the crack of 7:45 on a sunday, I grabbed a quick shower and headed down to the far side of the Rabat Medina to board the first of two buses that would ferry us all out from Rabat to one of the poorest areas ringing the city.

Once we were there, we encountered pure chaos. AIESEC and several other organizations had banded together to create basically a large-scale free medical clinic on the site of a school. Expecting around 600 Moroccans, we were deluged with over 900. This influx of people was a recipe for chaos, as people rushed the tents to register (where I happened to be working). For the next 5 or so hours, I worked as literally desperate people (who have no other access to health care) tried to get their children and themselves to the front of every line.

The experience was made more challenging by the fact that nobody understood French - it was definitely strictly Dirija. I used what I knew - salaam aleykoom, labas, and stuff along those lines, but the best form of cultural communication was definitely being warm and having a smile on your face. I understood where they were coming from, and what this meant to them, so it definitely diluted any frustration I had - it's difficult to get angry at someone who needs something so bad.

Anyways, definitely a moving experience, felt like I was more on the Peace Corps than an AIESEC Traineeship for one day. Also put city life in perspective for me - I work in what would be described as the most "popular" of popular quarters (to use the french lingo that they use here), but it doesn't compare in poverty to the rural poor I encountered up close and personal on Sunday. Honestly, anybody who can do work like that for their career, I salute - it's some of the most draining and frustrating (but also rewarding) work one can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home