Monday, July 11, 2005

London

Sorry for the tardiness on this post, but I thought I'd talk a little bit about the London terrorist attacks in terms of what I've experienced here in Morocco, a Muslim country. Firstly, thanks to the wonders of the internet, information here was pretty easy to find - by cobbling together AP Reports, stuff from Al-Jazeera, Google News, etc, I was able to get a decent picture of what was going on.

When I first heard about what happened, I got goosebumps and immediately started checking information on the internet. Of course, all I heard from my friend Badre was "did you hear about the bombings in London?" Reactions from my friends here were incredibly uniform - contrary to a misinformed public perception, people were greatly saddened and angered by it. Nobody that I've talked to in any way expressed anything but that to me.

Furthermore, the people here are greatly angered by the misuse of their religion, their life, as a tool for violence. One of the most commonly equated terms for terrorists here have been the "Mafia," or criminals. These terrorists are not regarded as brothers in arms, but people who sully the name of a beautiful and many-layered religion that I am only beginning to understand.

I really do extend my greatest sympathies to London and to the UK, as do all of my friends here in Morocco, who share in my outrage and sadness for these abhorrent attacks on humanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home