Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Moroccan Wedding... Mine

Yesterday was capped by a party out in Akkari with the guys from Reseau Maillage (the boyz). After giving a presentation on Politics, Economics, and Consumer Culture to the local english-language university and attending two yawn-inducing information sessions, I was ready to cut loose.

Unfortunately, my ability to cut loose was curtailed as soon as I showed up at the office for the party. I was quickly shuffled into a back room, where I was instructed to remove my shirt. Before I knew it, I was decked out in the traditional male ceremonial robes - something you might see around Fez. After being transported to yet another room, where I found my teaching partner, Elizabeth, resplendent in the traditional female dress, I was informed of our impending nuptials. Following male instinct, I tried to escape the ceremony, only to find out there was no way out. My exits were blocked and I felt like I was witnessing the end of my ahem, illustrious, bachelorhood.

Soon, the door was thrown open to reveal thirty clapping and loudly laughing Moroccans. After my embarassment/surprise was thoroughly entered into the photographic record, I watched as a speech was given, and refreshments were served. Resisting the urge to get bombed at my wedding (not to mention the lack of alcohol), I made the acquaintance of one of the local men who worked as a clown. After spending thirty minutes in a conversation with him composed exclusively of pantomiming and weird clown pantomimes, I extricated myself so I could put back on some less oppressing clothing (don't get me wrong, the robes were comfortable, but definitely toasty. Couldn't imagine going through a whole real ceremony in them). Back into my "could you point me towards Connecticut?" outfit of seersucker shorts and a polo, I finished up the party, figuring out ways to avoid my new bride to be to limit any more compromising photo ops.

Anyways, after another day of conferences and heavy eating, I'm sitting in my buddy Youssef's apartment (yet another one), watching "Hit Music Black" on the telly. Tomorrow I have a humanitarian medicine caravan thing at 9am, and so goes another weekend. Next weekend is going to be the Sahara though, so always stuff to look forward to...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home