Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Octupi Please

I was making an exit from work today when I was stopped by some of "the Boys," including the two Youssefs, Taoufik, and Khalid. We BS'ed for a few minutes before one of the Youssefs handed me something wrapped in tinfoil. Looking at the strange and bulging package, I inquired as to what was in it. Youssef happily grabbed it back to me, and unrolled the aluminum foil to reveal two dead squid, both about half the length of my forearm. Smiling from ear to ear (quite like my first fish fry experience), I thanked him and the others profusely before asking about what exactly I was supposed to do with it (they got a good laugh out of my asking where I could buy a fish bowl). Turns out, that Octupi can be eaten raw, but it was captured yesterday so ostensibly it wasn't fresh enough - a theory I am not willing to test. So, the best way to cook these squid is just in a skillet with "jus natural" as they informed me.

I did get a big kick out of bringing the squids home and sticking them in the fridge with the aluminum foil on, only to inform various residents of the apartment that we got this "absolutely amazing" food from work today that they have to come and take a look at. Melissa didn't take the *reveal* moment so well, there was shrieking and cursing.

I guess the moral of this whole deal is that I'm becoming less and less squeamish - the only way that's been happening is by being repeatedly put in uncomfortable situations... c'est la vie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home