Friday, August 12, 2005

N'Oubliez Pas Le Maroc

Today, I went over for my final trip to the Reseau Maillage office in Akkari with a tub of Jif peanut butter as a present. When I showed up, we busted out a glass bottle of Coca-Cola and some pain rond and had a little going-away party. One of the last things that Youssef said to before I got in the cab was "n'oubliez pas le Maroc" (don't forget Morocco). After giving the guys the obligatory double kisses on the cheek and reassuring them that I'd do my best to come back in the spring when I'm in Paris studying abroad, I got into one of my last petit taxis and headed back to the apartment to finally start packing.

On the way back, I unwrapped the white robe the two Youssefs had given me as a going-away present, only to realize it was the same type I'd gotten "married" in a few weeks back during my spurious wedding to Elizabeth. Looking over this robe, I finally realized I was heading out. There are still a few more goodbyes to say (I'm not planning on sleeping before my 4am car to Mohammed V airport), but I'm essentially done here. Back to the states for wisdom teeth removal and miscellaneous relaxation (how dorky would it be if I took up bird watching?), then DC, Paris, then?

Although I really have no clue where I'll be a year from now (and frankly, like it that way), what the guys at the association said to me today mattered. I know I'll always have amazing friends here, and Morocco is something that will always remain a part of my life. Since this'll probably be my last post from Morocco proper (I'll write a few follow ups and try to post some images on my Flickr photo account), I just wanted to say how much this summer here has genuinely meant to me. It's pretty rare that 9 weeks makes such an impression on a person, and I'll never forget Morocco.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Isaac,

It's Liz. Wish you could stay in Morocco, so that I could continue living vicariously through like I've been doing since returning to the States. Your blog has been all the rage at the Gray household (well, not exactly, but a few days ago my mom asked me if I'd read your new posts; the answer was yes).

Anyway, bon voyage! Sorry about the wisdom teeth.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home