Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Marrakech by the Numbers

Number of fresh Orange Juice Stands in the DjemaĆ¢ el Fna: 50
Number of Western tourists in the same area: 1000+
Number of European men wearing capri pants: 300
Number of times I was referred to as a place name in the USA by a street vendor(ie: "Hey Chicago!"): 3 (Chicago, New York, Arizona)
Number of times I was offered Hashish: 3
Cost of a horse carriage ride to the Palace Badii: 40 Dirhams
Total cost of our small, cozy, and thankfully air-conditioned hotel off the main square: 760 Dirhams
Average Temperature: around 105 Degress Fahrenheit


Overall, Marrakech was quite the experience. For the first time, I really felt like a Western tourist, which was much more unsettling than I thought it would be, given the fact that I really don't consider myself one (c'mon guys, I work in Rabat!). The best part about the city was the architecture, which felt distinctly more African (it was the Berber capital) than its western counterpart cities in the North. Everything was a clay/adobe color with well-kept gardens, winding boulevards, and random Moroccan ornamentation.

My only problem was that since I've been in Morocco for over eight weeks, I've already had what one might term the "Moroccan Experience:" I've seen plenty of decorative arts, architecture, souks, and Moroccan character over my time here, and that made Marrakech slightly less enchanting. If one was on a trip, it would be a markedly different experience, but for me, the combination of a been there, done that feeling with the obnoxious vendors and petit taxi drivers colored my experience a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home