Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My First (attempted) Pick-Pocketing

I was taking the bus to Akkari yesterday, when I ran into a few snags - most notably a full-court press attempted pickpocketing by three unsavory guys on the bus. I had stupidly decided to carry my victorinox bag with the handy-dandy zippers that open extra-easy on the bus when I noticed that my front pocket was unzipped when I sat down. Looking around, i looked at the guy behind me who had brushed by me just a moment ago. Giving him a stern look, I closed up my bag and held it close to me. Just moments later, a guy sits down next to me, and starts fumbling with the window to the left of me. Soon, his "friend" stops by to help him out... all the while, i'm sitting there with tourist confusion written all over my face. Not realizing these guys were in on it too, I started to help them with the window after their prompting (keep in mind I'm on a bus alone in the heat, and slightly out of it). Soon, i felt pressure on my bag, and grabbed it towards me, hard. Although it was in front of me, they had somehow managed to unzip all the zippers sans sound and proceeded to rifle their greasy little no-good fingers in my stuff. Luckily, my stuff was arranged in my bag so that they hit a hat and a bandana when they opened up a main pocket. Same was for the side pocket, where I was stupidly keeping my Visa card. However, they managed to make off with nothing. After getting up and starting to make a scene, they left- a little too casually for my tastes, which left me going through my bag for the next hour, double- and triple-checking all my stuff.
Basically, it happened really fast, and noiselessly. These guys had been hanging out at the bus stop looking for targets, and, given my pale skin, I guess I made a ridiculously tempting target. Let's just say at this point, my vigilance has gone up tenfold. The biggest problem is that it's kind of shattered a lot of the artificial, or perceived security I've been building up over the last week and a half. I now case out the guys that board the bus, wondering if they could indeed have sticky fingers. I'm going to head off to the medina after reseau today and get a little purse that I can wear around my neck - and underneath my t-shirt - and carry less, just some dirhams and a copy of my passport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home