Sunday, June 12, 2005

jesus

wanna hear a story? well i have got a fucking story (btw any sp mistakes are courtesy of french-language keyboards).

i am currently in the hyatt regency in casablanca, why, you ask, is isaac here? great question. amazing question. have now been up for a RIDICULOUSLY long period of time, and will now give all of you the "short" version.

flashback to friday the 10th of june. i board a plane for jfk airport, from there i will head to casa from nyc. in theory. unfortunately, after 5 diff excuses ivolving weather in diff locations, problems with the planes weight, and then fuel, our flight is cancelled after sitting on the runway for two and a half hours. As are many other flights due to inclement weather. so, i get shipped back to the minneapolis airport. fast forward 5 hours later, after two diff ticket counters and managing to lose my tickets (thanks again maria from delta!)I get a flight for sat the 11th, going from minneapolis to montreal, and then straight to casablanca. during this whole process, i had been emailing aiesec in morocco informing them of the changes via my sister.
ok, saturday the 11th. after taking 50 min to verify my changed tickets when I arrived, i was finally clared for a boarding pass. after deciding to change the gate to LITERALLY the opposite end of the airport last-minute, i managed to go out and pick smething up from my mom, re-enter the airport, and make it just in time for the flight. whew. At montreal, i managed to clear canadian customs without getting my cheched bags. silly me, i naively assumed they were checked to my final destination, forgetting that you must re-check. after a tense forty minutes trying to re-enter customs, i was able to get a sympathetic northwest employee to get my bags, saying; and i quote "gosh, this happens all the time here because they don't tell people you have to pick them up." after another 35 minutes spent trying to find the royal air maroc gate, thanks to some incredibly unhelpful quebecois, i got my tickets and got on the flight to casa. arriving in casa was nice at first, until i realized two things: nobody was there to pick me up for some inexplicable reason, and i had no clue where i was staying( or if i was in casa or rabat, because aiesec hates the concept of concrete information) or how to contact anyone, since i had left my folder at home after the first cancellation thingy. fast forward three hours at the casa airport, still nobody. so, i blindly make my way to the train station, and manage to then get a taxi that takes me to a cyber cafe with internet that doesn't allow for outgoing email messages?!an hour after that, i say "fuck it, where's the nicest hotel?"
this brings me to my present, still-ambiguous situation. thanks to the concierge ' and my rapidly improving french skills, i now have a number i can call tomorrow so i can be connected to this guy who works for reseau maillage ( keep in mind this is all happening ona sunday, so anything important is closed). i also have a street on which there is a reseau maillage office, just a street, not an address. which brings me back to now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home